Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Almost verdict time

I've got an appointment at 4:30 this afternoon with the specialist. His receptionist tried to book me in for Friday, but thankfully the doctor who referred me to him on Saturday night said to press the issue and make sure they fit me in today.

It's definitely sounding like surgery is the way to go. I was doing a little reading yesterday on the net about the injury and the recovery. Without surgery it sounds like there's a fair chance of the injury recurring in the future. With surgery it becomes a slim chance. The only real risks of surgery are infection of the wound, so it seems like it's a fairly safe procedure. It's just a little daunting because I've not had surgery before, other than having my tonsils out when I was too young to remember.

I don't know how long it will take before the surgery happens. I hope it's not too long, because I'm gradually in more and more pain. When the foot is elevated (and I can get it comfy) it's not too bad. My back is actually causing me more grief now than the foot. But when I stand up it very quickly becomes almost unmanageably painful, so I'm dreading getting up for any reason whatsoever.

As a result I'm not spending as much time at the computer as I thought I'd be able to, so I'm not managing to get much (if any) work done. I'm not sure yet whether this will change once I've had the surgery, but for my own comfort I'm hoping it's less painful at least. Though that said I've only had the bare minimum of painkillers so far. They don't seem to be having too much effect on the leg itself, but they do help with all the associated pain - I have sore hands/arms/shoulders/chest from using the crutches, and as I said my back is disliking a) lying on the couch all day, and b) having to lift the dead weight of my right leg.

Hopefully before the appointment this afternoon I can manage to have a shower. I had a shower saturday night cos I was all stinky from my (brief) run around at netball, but it was so difficult that I've avoided having one since. I've been managing to bathe to an extent, but I'm starting to feel very blergh and hope to address that before venturing out into public this afternoon.

So only a few more hours until I learn some more about what the near future will hold for me. I'll post again later tonight with the outcome.

No comments: